Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sandringham

I had heard a rumor around base that U.S. military gets in free to Sandringham, the Queen's country estate. It's less than an hour from our house, so I thought I'd head over and check it out one weekend. It turns out military is free with a paid admission, but since it was just me the lady was super nice and let me in free anyways - made my day!

The estate and house were beautiful, and so picturesque. It's crazy to think that the paths I was walking along have been walked by the Queen and Kate and William! :) I took the longer path up to the house and got to walk through some beautiful gardens (I bet they are even prettier when everything is in full bloom). The inside of the house was a pleasant surprise. Sometimes it seems like all these royal residences/castles look the same (to my untrained eye at least), but this house was comfortable, while still being a little fancy. There were helpful guides in each room who had little anecdotes to tell. The woman in the dining room where the royal family has Christmas dinner was talking about how Prince Philip always walks around in his slippers and loves to sit in the library - I love the little tidbits about the royal family, makes them seem more real to me, and I have a healthy obsession with all things royal since moving here. 

There was also a well done museum by the stables, with more information on the history of Sandringham, and I finished off with a walk along the stream back to the church and the exit! There were tons of little ducklings running around, it was such a great day, and I made it back to the car just before the rain hit, phew! 

Garden walk to the house

Sandringham House


Stables

Walk along the stream
Ducklings!
Beautiful grounds
The house was huge - I couldn't get it all in one picture, even from afar!
The house part 2 :)
I stopped at Denver windmill on the way home - nothing super exciting, but I like windmills :)

No comments:

Post a Comment