Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bonfire Night

On November 5th, England celebrates Guy Fawkes Night every year with big bonfires in the towns, and awesome fireworks displays. It all started because Guy Fawkes was arrested while taking part in a plot to kill King James I by laying explosives below the House of Lords in 1605. When he was arrested, people celebrated the failed attempt on their King's life by lighting bonfires and fireworks. 

It seems like every big and small town here has some sort of celebration to commemorate the day, and I decided to go to Ely's this year. It was awesome. There was a carnival-like atmosphere complete with kiddie rides, glow sticks, and candy floss (cotton candy!), which I ate a whole bag of by myself before the fireworks even began. ;) Then after it was dark they lit the bonfire, which had effigies of Guy Fawkes placed on top, and then the fireworks went off shortly after that. I love fireworks, and I've seen some pretty awesome displays in my time, but these were incredible They were set right in front of the Ely Cathedral, so that was a stunning backdrop, and they were set off on the hill right in front of the crowds, so it was like the fireworks completely surrounded us. I can't wait to go next year!






No comments:

Post a Comment